Lake Herrick is an outstanding feature of oconee Forest Park, a 60-hectare natural area behind intramural fields. The neighborhood is popular for recreation throughout the park and the adjacent Rec Sports complex. Hiking, trailrunning, bird watching and fishing are popular activities. An accessible dock is available for non-motorized boats such as rowing boats, canoes, kayaks and paddleboards. Herrick Creek Loop is a 1 km circuit that is suitable for all levels of technique and is mainly used for hiking, walking and nature excursions. In addition to rest, the site is used as a living laboratory for research and as an outdoor interdisciplinary classroom for teachers and students in visual arts, communication sciences, ecology, engineering, forestry and natural resources, landscape architecture and other fields.   Lumpkin House, aka “Rock House,” is the oldest building on the South Campus built in 1844. The building is named after its early owner Wilson Lumpkin, a former congressman, governor and U.S. Senator of Georgia, who designed and built the house as his retirement home.
The building and surrounding land, on which the nearby Connor Hall was built in 1908, were sold to the university by Lumpkin`s youngest daughter, who established that ownership of the land would fall to her heirs if the university ever moved or destroyed the house. The house used by the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) “is probably still standing only for [this] strange clause” that continues to honor the university. In 1970, the building was included in the National Register of Historic Places.  The second oldest building, named after National Legislator James J. Conner, sits on one of the highest points in Athens. The conner Hall was built in the Renaissance style and also serves the CAES. In 1975, it under undersered an internal renovation whose exterior features remained unchanged. Barrow Hall, built in 1911, is the third oldest building on the South Campus and serves a variety of university programs. Originally known as the Farm Mechanics Building, the building was renamed Chancellor David C. Barrow, during whose term it was built.  William Porter Payne, who played football at UGA and was vice president of Bank of America, became president and general manager of the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games, and then president of Augusta National Golf Club. Payne was primarily responsible for organizing the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta and at the University of Georgia.
 In sports, especially in the NFL, Terrell Davis, a two-time Super Bowl champion with the Denver Broncos, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, is a remarkable UGA-Alaun.  Other Bulldogs who have made a professional career are Hines Ward, a wide receiver who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers for 15 seasons, Bailey field, an All-American consensus who was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the first round of the 1999 draft, and Reggie Brown, who was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the second round of the 2005 draft.  Among the alumni who have careers in professional sports is Mitchell Boggs, a former baseball pitcher for St. Boggs.